Alexandra Stahle, DDS provides fully customized implant-supported and traditional dental crowns. Dental crowns are restorations used to protect a tooth compromised by decay or trauma. They can also replace a missing tooth in conjunction with a dental implant. Dr. Stahle uses advanced technology and high-quality materials to create dental crowns that fit beautifully within your smile in terms of comfort, balance, and aesthetics. To learn more about dental crowns, contact Dr. Stahle's Beverly Hills, CA, office today.
About Dental Crowns
A traditional crown is a realistic-looking, tooth-shaped cap designed for placement directly over a tooth following treatment for trauma or decay. Over the years, crowns have been made from a variety of materials, but we choose to use zirconia and dental porcelain because they are very durable, yet look natural. Crowns are often the final step in a root canal treatment, since the procedure results in a structurally weakened tooth in need of added support.
In some cases, crowns are placed on healthy teeth to support a dental bridge (also called a partial denture). A traditional bridge "floats" in the space left by one or more missing teeth, supported on either side by dental crowns. While this solution is certainly effective, it is not as conservative or beneficial as an implant-supported restoration.
A dental implant is a titanium post that is surgically implanted in the jaw bone to replace missing tooth roots. Using a dental implant to support a crown – or any dental restoration – provides many important benefits. It requires no alteration of your teeth, and because implants fuse to your jaw, they provide the absolute best support. They also prevent the gradual atrophy (shrinkage) of the jawbone that always follows the loss of a tooth.
Porcelain and Zirconia Dental Crowns
We custom design each and every dental crown to blend with your natural teeth. Dr. Stahle uses zirconia and medical-grade porcelain because they provide many important benefits:
- Durability – Porcelain and zirconia are highly resistant to chips and cracks. They can provide years of functionality with proper care.
- Stain-resistance – These dental crown materials are highly resistant to stains, even more than natural enamel. They will retain their color for many years.
- Tooth-like Translucency – Porcelain and zirconia have a semi-translucency, meaning they allow some light to pass through the surface just like natural tooth enamel.
- Custom Coloration – Porcelain and zirconia can be matched to virtually any tooth color. Dr. Stahle will ensure that your new crown blends seamlessly with your natural teeth so that those around you notice your beautiful smile, not your dental crown.
- Biocompatibility – Porcelain and zirconia will not irritate the soft tissues of your mouth, and are safe for patients with metal allergies.
Contact Us Today
Dental crowns are a fundamentally practical treatment, but you can count on Dr. Stahle to provide you with a restoration that makes your smile look beautiful and healthy. To learn more about dental crowns and schedule an appointment, contact us today.